Spider Strategies believes in the importance of thoughtfully handling personal information and is committed to privacy practices that are transparent and compliant. This Privacy Statement sets out how Spider Strategies uses the personal information we collect and receive about you.
Categories of Personal Information Collected
Spider Strategies collects personal information in support of its mission to help people see and understand their data. This personal information is collected through a variety of ways. You provide some information directly to us; we receive some information when you visit our website or use our products and services; and we receive some information from third parties.
The categories of information we collect will depend on your interactions with Spider Strategies:
Contact information. Name, employer, title, email address, physical address, phone number, and similar contact info, user names and passwords.
Payment and financial information. Credit card number, banking information and billing address.
Demographic Information. Employment status, occupation, region. If you participate in a Spider Strategies research focus group, then you will have the option to provide further information, such as gender, race, and age.
Inferred and derived information. Data such as propensities and attributes that Spider Strategies generates to help us understand you and your preferences.
Transaction and registration information. Information which is generated in the course of your transaction with Spider Strategies, including account information, logins, passwords, and purchase history. Product registration information, product interest information, transaction information, and in some cases, student verification information. We may also collect registration information related to your attendance at Spider Strategies events, including travel information, scheduling information, food preferences or allergies, and accessibility requests.
Usage and geographic data. Spider Strategies collects information related to your use of our products, services and websites. We analyze that usage data so that we can improve our products and your experience with them. In certain instances, Spider Strategies provides administrative tools so you can opt out of the collection of some usage data.
Usage data includes online and technical information about your computer's or mobile device's operating system and browser type; your device type; details about how you are using our products (including natural language queries); your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and geographic areas derived from your IP address; networking connection data; Spider Strategies cookie information; file information; metadata; time stamped logs regarding access times and duration of visits; the web pages you visited before coming to Spider Strategies websites (referring URL); and other usage data relating to your activities on our Sites, including the pages you request. We may link this information to the personal information we have collected about you and use it for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, and we may deliver targeted marketing and product information back to you based on your usage data.
Third party data. We may receive your personal information from third party suppliers or partners. If you connect with Spider Strategies accounts on third party social networking sites, we may receive information about your social networking accounts, for example, your name, user name or display name, public profile, and email address. We may combine information you provide with data we collect automatically and with data we receive from third parties.
Images, video and recordings. Pictures, videos or audio recordings may be collected by Spider Strategies. For example, if you attend a Spider Strategies event, your image may be captured in a photo or video. If you call Spider Strategies customer support, your call may be recorded.
If you decline to provide your personal information or ask us to delete it, we may be unable to continue to provide or support our products or services.
Ways We Use Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, as covered in any agreement that incorporates this Policy, or as disclosed to you in connection with our websites. For example, we will use your information to:
- Provide and deliver products or services, including software updates;
- Operate and improve our operations, systems, products, and services;
- Understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Provide service and support, such as sending confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages and providing customer support and troubleshooting;
- Communicate with you and your referrals about promotions, upcoming events, and news about products and services offered by Spider Strategies and our selected partners;
- Link or combine information about you with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better and more personalized service;
- Enforce our terms and conditions or protect our business, partners, or users;
- Protect against, investigate, and deter fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity; and
- Keep our products, facilities, and services secure.
Reasons for Using Your Information
When we process your personal information we will only do so where at least one of the following applies:
- We need to use your personal information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you and to provide you with tools and services.
- We have a legitimate reason to collect and use your personal information. For example, it is in our legitimate interests to use usage data including your personal information to improve our products and services; to tell you about changes to this Privacy Statement and other policies; to tell you about new products, services and events or changes to our products, services or websites; for business reasons (for example to develop and expand our business); and to tell you about offers or promotions we are running.
- You have given consent to use your personal information. You may withdraw consent by opting out where we give you the opportunity to do so, or by contacting us using the contact details below.
- If it is necessary for us to use your personal information in order to comply with a legal obligation.
- You have chosen to make the information public. You should not share any personal information which you wish to keep confidential or private.
Sharing of Personal Information
Spider Strategies works to keep your personal information confidential and secure. In some circumstances Spider Strategies may share your information with third parties, for example:
- We may share your personal information when we have your permission, including when you choose to share information using Spider Strategies Public or post to our Community websites;
- We provide personal information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Spider Strategies to provide us with services. These companies may use your personal information to perform services and to help Spider Strategies communicate with you, including making offers from Spider Strategies and our partners. Spider Strategies maintains contracts with these companies restricting their access, use and disclosure of personal information in compliance with this Privacy Statement and any legal obligations;
- If you connect to your third party accounts through our products, we will use that information to authenticate you, enumerate the data sources available to you, download any data you request us to, and download and refresh authentication tokens or persist authentication information such as user names and passwords as necessary to continue to connect to these data;
- We may share your contact and transactional information with our current or future affiliates, which may include parent and subsidiary companies, joint ventures, or other companies under common control, in which case we will require our affiliates to honor this Privacy Statement;
- We will disclose your personal information to comply with legal requirements, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose your personal information in response to a law enforcement agency's request, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, verify, prevent, enforce compliance with, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; suspected fraud; situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person; protection of the rights and property of Spider Strategies, our agents, customers, or others; violations or suspected violations of our agreements and policies; or as otherwise required or permitted by law or consistent with legal requirements;
- We transfer or disclose your personal information for corporate reasons. For example, to third parties in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy or similar transaction. We may also share personal information with our auditors, attorneys or other advisors in the connection with corporate functions; and
- Finally, we also share aggregated, anonymized or statistical information about you, including demographics data, with others for a variety of purposes, for example, for improving products and services for Spider Strategies and others.
We may facilitate third party services or ways to share data through third parties, including social media platforms, websites, applications, and services through plug-ins, widgets, buttons, and other third party features on and connected with our websites, communications or products. Third parties whose services you use in connection with Spider Strategies, such as our reseller partners, or third parties whose websites we link to, may have information practices that are different from ours. This Privacy Statement does not apply to the activities of third parties when they are collecting or using data for their own purpose or on behalf of others. We are not responsible for the activities of these third parties. We encourage you to review their privacy policies to understand how they use your information.
Storage and Security of Your Personal Information
We have reasonable and appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in place to help safeguard your personal information. However, you should know that no company, including Spider Strategies, can fully eliminate security risks associated with personal information. To help protect yourself, use a strong password, do not use the same passwords to access your Spider Strategies accounts that you use with other accounts or services, and protect your user names and passwords to help prevent others from accessing your accounts and services.
We offer you the ability to post information and exchange ideas through our websites and other services. Because your posts and information are public and can be seen by others, we caution all users to consider what they post and not to disclose any personal information. Spider Strategies will not be responsible in the event that you disclose personal information in your posts, through our public services or during any other communication with other website users.
Information collected by Spider Strategies or on our behalf may be stored on your computers, on your mobile devices, or on our servers, and may be transferred to, accessed from, or stored and processed in, the United States and any other country where Spider Strategies or its service providers maintain facilities or support centers, including jurisdictions that may not have data privacy laws that provide protections equivalent to those provided in your home country. However, we will protect all personal information we obtain in accordance with this Privacy Statement and take reasonable steps to ensure that it is treated lawfully.
In certain circumstances we may retain your personal information after you have closed your account or are no longer actively engaged with Spider Strategies. For example:
- We may retain your personal information after you have closed your account so that we can send you information about products, services and publications we think you may be interested in. You can "unsubscribe" from receiving such messages or tell us you are no longer interested;
- We may retain your personal information in order to protect our legal rights, or those of third parties, or to comply with the law;
- We may retain personal information about how you have used our products and services in order to improve and develop our business;
- If you purchase products or services from us, we may retain your personal information for as long as we need to in order to provide you with customer service, or for compliance purposes, for example, in order to comply with our record keeping requirements;
- Spider Strategies may also use and share aggregated, non-personally identifiable data for research, external training and marketing purposes.
Controlling your Personal Information
Our marketing emails permit you to opt-out of receiving further marketing emails. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to let us know that you no longer wish to receive marketing emails. If you opt out but are a current customer, we will still send you transactional emails. Transactional emails are necessary communications about your accounts and our business dealings with you, such as renewals and updates, and, as allowed by applicable law, requests for your participation in surveys.
You have certain rights in your personal information, subject to local data protection laws.
If you are based in Europe, then you may have the right to ask us to:
- Confirm whether or not personal information about you is being processed;
- Provide you with details about how we process your personal information;
- Consider your valid objection to the processing of your personal information (including the right to object to processing on grounds relating to your particular situation where we are relying on our legitimate interests as a legal basis for processing your personal information);
- Correct or delete personal information which we hold about you;
- Restrict our processing of your personal information;
- Consider your valid request to transfer your personal information to a third party provider of services (data portability); and
- Ask us to treat your consent as withdrawn if you have previously provided us with consent to process your personal information and we rely on it as our legal basis for processing.
If you live in California, you have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- The right to notice about our collection and processing of your personal information;
- The right to request specific pieces of your personal information that we process;
- The right to opt out of having us sell your personal information;
- The right to receive equal services and prices regardless of whether you exercise any of your other rights.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please submit your request to email@example.com. We will consider all such requests and provide our response as soon as we can. Please note, however, that personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances, which may include circumstances where we need to keep processing your personal information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We must confirm your identity before providing you with any personal information or deleting any personal information.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Our websites use various software technologies including cookies, web beacons and pixel tags. Cookies are small text files that we and others may place in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. We use web beacons or pixel tags - small pieces of code placed on a web page or within the body of an email - to monitor the behavior and collect data about the visitors viewing a web page or viewing or opening an email. Web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page, and we use them from time to time for this and advertising purposes.
We partner with third parties, including analytics companies, advertisers, and ad networks, who may place cookies on your browser when you visit our websites, may send their own cookies to your cookie file, and may use those cookies to track and collect information about you and your online activities over time and across different websites, devices, and applications and to provide targeted advertising based on your interests and previous browsing history.
Like most companies with an online presence, we share some of the personal information gathered by cookies and similar technologies with our cookie vendors to make sure we deliver the best information to you. That sharing may be considered a "sale" under the California Consumer Privacy Act, which defines "selling" and "sale" broadly. If you want to opt out of advertising cookies, or other cookies that are not necessary for the performance of the website, you may do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about how we use your personal information, or if you have any other privacy-related questions, please contact us at email@example.com or at Spider Strategies Legal, 2221 South Clark Street, Arlington, VA 22202.
From time to time, we will update this Privacy Statement. In the event there are material changes to our information practices, we will note those changes on Spider Strategies’s Privacy Statement webpage (www.spiderstrategies.com/privacy/) and in some cases send a notification of changes via email.
Last Updated: June 6, 2020